After being annoyed looking at the grime that had accumulated below/in my A/C housing, I decided to disassemble it for cleaning. Here is how to remove the main vent in the faceplate:
- Remove both console side pieces
- Remove shift knob
- Remove shifter surround (mine was not fastened to anything!)
- Remove 4+ horizontal screws holding each side of the faceplate to the A/C housing.
- Remove (2) large vertical screws holding the faceplate to the lower dash (keep track of the small aluminum bushings between the a/c housing and dash).
- Pull faceplate slightly away from a/c housing (no wires need to be removed).
- Rotate vent so that the narrow portion is pointing into the a/c housing (this is important!).
- Pick one side and gently pry the rear tab of the pivot bearing away from the housing (outward), while pulling the grill (with bearing) away from the housing.
- Remove and clean vent assembly! Soak in dishwater and clean using Q-tips.
- Re-install using reverse procedures.
Author: Jim Gerock
Last update: 2007-05-15 09:25